Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The No-Poo Recipe: Baking Soda and Vinegar

Shampoo replacement:  Baking Soda

  • The baking soda acts as a clarifier. This is the part of the recipe that needs to be customized to work best with your hair, you need to experiment, that's why I'm keeping this as my online journal.  My thoughts to start are that I'd dilute it more with water since I tend to be dry already.
  • Sodium bicarbonate/baking soda is a base (it has a pH of about 9 when dissolve in water) and lifts the hair follicle. The powder that doesn’t completely go in to solution seems to absorb oil. It’s also a very mild abrasive, so you can physically scrub your hair with it.

Conditioning rinse replacement: Vinegar

  • The vinegar rinse seals the cuticle after the baking soda cleanse, and the lime essential oil I chose to add will make me feel better about the smell.
  • The acetic acid found in vinegar, in addition to neutralizing any left behind baking soda, is also a chelating agent, meaning it can grab hold of minerals and prevent them from building up in your hair, making it look dull. Another plus point is that these are super cheap products. 

As for the actual recipe, 
it seems to be a very personal concoction.  
See my updates for more on what worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing my journey, all comments are welcomed but will be moderated to ensure we have good vibes going on.