|Flax Seeds are also called Linseeds;|
the brown seeds were 10 cents cheaper!
Naturally Curly Recipe: DIY Hair Gel(1 part flax seeds: 4 parts distilled water)
2 cups water
1/2 cup flax seed
Yield: 4-5 uses
- Use a high heat and stir with a wooden spoon
- When it comes to a boil, stir vigorously
- Watch that the seeds start bubbling up and foaming, when they look like they want to sink to the bottom of the pot, keep stirring and you should get a second foam then turn off the heat
- Use a mesh strainer, pour the mixture through the strainer
- Reusing the seeds don't seem to give the same consistency
- Put into an air tight container and be careful to let it cool before putting it into glass or plastic
- The consistency is not gel like, it's like egg whites and smells like honey.
for the process of me actually making it (and screwing it up!)
Note: She does add a second coat when dry, and she refrigerates it.
And another option is to add coconut oil right into the gel.
(1 part flax seeds: 3 parts distilled water)
- A tablespoon of Linseeds aka Flax seeds
- 3 x table spoons of water
- Boil them together for 7ish minutes, until the water turns thick and slimey, sieve the linseeds out and pop the gel in a container.
- Melt a bit of coconut oil until runny and add half a teaspoon to the mixture. Mix it really well. Add more oil if you want it more waxy/ soft, and less if you want it to remain crisper!
And if you've reached this far, here's a bonus treasure trove of recipes for you: http://hairrecipes.homestead.com/stylingrecipes.html
My updates posted here -http://curlygirlgoesnopoo.blogspot.ca